Monday 8 November 2010

Dodo curiosity animation

For this task I was given four weeks to design, plan out, storyboard and draw an animation that is less then 20 seconds long. The first part of my task was to get a simple but effective character which I would use for this animation, I wanted to use a character that uses squash and stretch effect while walking as well as giving a simple walk cycle. After a couple of designs and storyboards later I finally decided to use my character the Grim Dodo
before planning out my storyboard I did a small reference sheet of the character so that I could get a more defined look at what the character may turn out in the final result. After designing my reference sheet I then moved on to my storyboard, in the storyboard I planned out a walk cycle before reaching the main phase of the animation. In the main phrase the character first walks past the button before returning to it he then presses a button and wait for something to happen only to get knocked on the head by a small anvil.

When it finally came to drawing out my animation there were some things that I had to cut from my final project, one of the things I had to cut from my animation was the first walk cycle before the character gets the main phrase because it took up too much time. Another part of the storyboard I had to cut from the final animation was the dramatic scene where the character with get hit by a larger anvil. Although I was not able to use the walk cycle in the main phrase I still use the idea of how the character would walk from it in the main phase
within the main phase of my drawing for the animation they used a set frame and an outline to keep a consistency within my animation as well as using tracing paper in my own techniques to keep the walk cycle consistent as well.
In my end result I was quite pleased with how it turned out and I feel that I gave a fair amount of pause time between each action. In my final result I do wish that I was able to give more detail and designed to the character to show more reaction within the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment